The idea of having to undertake psychometric testing is not one we all enjoy but if you remember that it is for your own benefit, you will see it from a different viewpoint. There are certain things you can do to increase your chances of success in a numerical testing situation.
- It is easy to get caught out and apply incorrect answers through the lack of reading and understanding the questions properly. Be sure to make not of the units, study the tables and graphs and never make assumptions. Read the questions carefully, re-read them if necessary but make sure you understand exactly what is required of you. Misinterpretation can lead to incorrect answers. Once you have answered, it won’t hurt to read the question again and ensure that the answer you have supplied is what has been asked.
- In instances where you are allowed to use a calculator, make sure that you pack a calculator with which you are familiar. A calculator that you regularly use will offer you the benefit of knowing how it works and how the functions work. You will be familiar with where the buttons are placed. Select a calculator with large buttons and an easily visible screen. Using a familiar calculator will prevent wasted time and unnecessary errors.
- During numerical testing, you will always be provided with some scrap paper to use for your workings. Use the paper, do your full workings before inputting your answers. It is easier to spot mistakes when you write the calculation out. There are times when part of the working from one question will be required in the next question. This will save you time as you will already have the workings written down.
- Numerical logic questions will provide you with options to choose from. Consider only these options when making a decision on the answer. Use the method of deduction and simple common sense to save yourself some time. Make an educated guess and move on to the next question.
- Time management is very important in a timed numerical evaluation. Skim ahead and see how many questions refer to a certain table or graph, make time management decisions and use the time wisely. You should allocate about three and a half minutes per three questions.
- Reduce the chances of human error when doing calculations. Take the figures directly off the test paper or test screen instead of your workings. This will prevent errors which you may have copied incorrectly to your workings paper.
Taking a numerical logic psychometric test is really not as bad as it seems. If you follow the pointers and don’t get yourself tied in a knot. Read the questions carefully and make sure you understand them. This is the main principle that needs to be used during any psychometric test situation. These tests are designed to make you think, each answer may sound correct, it will depend on how you interpret what is requested. If you take advantage of the many online psychometric tests available, and practice, you will see how easy it is to make unnecessary mistakes that are caused through misinterpretation,
Your child may be extremely fearful of undertaking this numerical evaluation but you need to be able to offer your child a calming hand to guide them on the right path and keep their head in the game. They need to realize that this test is nothing to be afraid of. The results are not there for judgement to be made of them but rather to help them to find their rightful place in the career world.
If your child struggles with numerical logic, it is a wonderful idea to encourage your child to practise online numerical psychometric tests so that they become comfortable with how the questions are worded and what exactly they may be asked. The more they practice, the easier they will find it and the more comfortable they will feel. Through practice, your child will see improvements in the results and this will boost their confidence tenfold. Confidence and believing in themselves is sometimes all your child needs in order to soar and find full success.
Yes, it may very well be revealed that your child is weaker in numerical abilities than in other areas but this doesn’t equate to failure. The career psychologist will discuss this with your child and explain to them how this affects their career choices. Perhaps your child makes up for what he/she lacks in the numerical field, with high achievements in literacy results. In an instance like this it would be explained to your child that they would find more success as a journalist, for instance, rather than an accountant.
It must be made known to your child that psychometric testing results are not final and they don’t follow you around like a dark storm cloud, for all eternity. Hard work, perseverance, and practice will show a change in results and an improvement in the weaker areas. If your child want to follow a path which requires skill in an area where they are weak, they can achieve their goals with effort and implementation of work ethics.
Your child’s life lies ahead of them and the choices they make when leaving school, have the potential to make or break their future. Your child’s book of life has so many blank pages which need to be filled with their successes, their failures, and their achievements.
Failure is not a bad thing, it is an opportunity to learn and grow and must be seen as such. Every bad situation has something good that can be taken from it.
Your child is the one who dictates his/her own future, give them the tools and power to do this with all the information available to them. Allow them the opportunity to get to know themselves so they can better understand where they are going. Your child is his/her own person with a mind of their own.